Anyone – Online
With so much changing with the current events, we’re all trying to cope in the best way that we can. For some of us, it has understandably made it more difficult to manage our well-being and our coping strategies may not be the healthiest. Our Coping with Current Events series hopes to bring together the community during a time of uncertainty, to learn and support ourselves and others.
Our online Coping with Current Events: Managing Unhealthy Coping Strategies will discuss how the current events may be affecting our behaviour, notice how we might be using things like alcohol and marijuana to cope, recognize when we rely on these substances and what we can do to create some healthier strategies to help us manage better.
Our goal is for you to leave this online session with at least one tool or piece of knowledge that you can implement right now to “reduce that squeeze” we all feel.
This session will be hosted online, so to join this access to the internet or phone is needed. Instructions on how you can join will be sent once registration is completed.
This session has been created in collaboration with Living Positive Resource Centre and Be The Change Counselling, with contributions from people with lived experience and professional experience.
What to expect:
- Online community session
- 1 session, 1hr 30 minutes long
- 2 Co-facilitators running the session
- Opportunities for discussion
- Student Resource Guide provided to supplement learning after session
- Instructions on how to join sent to your email before the session begins
- No prior knowledge needed
- Understand our perception of the current events and how this impacts our behaviour and well-being.
- Define what a coping strategy is.
- Acknowledge when we’re using things like alcohol or online shopping as a coping strategy, and recognize when these become unhealthy for us.
- Discover the importance of communication to support ourselves and those around us.
- Learn healthy strategies that help us manage during the current situation.